Sunday, November 02, 2008

Language and Death continued

Well, I thought we were done. But then I saw a couple of things on other blogs that I thought were incredibly relevant (even down to using some of the same words we were using) to what we were just talking about, that I want to throw up a couple of links. But don't forget to send me your "lemons/lemonade" updates (see post below). Here are two relevant blogs:

Justin Taylor

Robert P. George

Please note that I am not trying to come down on Barack Obama per se... though of course by effect that is what is taking place. I feel that this is because of his choices (which I think, by the evidence in the two articles, are indeed aggressively pro-abortion), not my words.

Also, I agree with the notion that there are lots of other issues to be concerned about in elections. But let me take some categories from statistics to explain why I keep harping on abortion.

Statisticians speak of "sufficient" and "necessary" variables. Sufficient is far more powerful than necessary. For example, in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it is necessary to have bread, but bread alone is not sufficient. You need the other necessary variables of peanut butter and jelly.

Similarly, when we speak of presidential platforms and abortion, I think a "pro-life" stance (see discussion of Piper's argument in post titled "Human Rights") is a necessary, but far from sufficient variable.

Thus, to belabor a point made in "Human Rights," a pro-abortion candidate must be disqualified.

No comments: